Is it better to buy from a private individual or a dealer?
The first question that arises is whether it is better to buy from an individual or an authorized dealer, or a dealer. In the first case, the cost required is certainly lower but it must be remembered that there is no guarantee for the car used by a private individual. If, on the other hand, you decide to buy the car from a dealer, you are guaranteed at least one year.
The first suggestion is, therefore, to orientate oneself towards those who sell and buy cars by profession. Do not forget, finally, that if you buy a used car from a private individual, you will have to take care of the transfer of ownership directly.
Which power to choose?
The car ‘s power supply and professional and family needs are parameters that direct your choice towards certain types of car: To understand which feed is most suitable for your next used car, we advise you to read our in-depth analysis on which fuel guarantees the best savings based on individual driving habits.
How much is a used car worth?
Before completing the purchase of a used car, take a few minutes to find out about used car prices: in Italy, Quattroruote’s used car prices have been officially recognized by Istat, which included them monthly in the consumer price basket. By searching online or by consulting a trade magazine it is possible to know if a fair price has been requested, based on the model and year of registration.
The value of the car is defined by standard criteria concerning mileage, endowment and coupons performed. But how do you calculate the price of a used car? It is not easy because you have to consider equipment and especially the kilometers traveled at the same time. Secondly, the quotations take into account mechanics and fully functioning electrical and electronic components, regularly executed and documentable coupons, regularly performed revisions, bodywork and interiors in good condition and tires in good condition.
Pay attention to the mileage
One of the most important parameters to understand how much to pay for a used car is definitely the mileage. To give you an idea, Quattroruote recommends subtracting 0.3% for every 1,000 km more than the value of the standard quotation.
So, when you buy a used car, look at the mileage you have made: since the odometer may have been retouched using special software, you should observe the consumption of the pedalboard, that of the seats and that of the shift knob. In these cases consult the maintenance booklet and check when the coupons have been made can make you understand the real state of the car.
Used car, what to check
If you are not an expert, get a mechanic to check the engine for leaks, check the belts, the cooling pipes and the functions of the clutch and the braking system.
However, it may happen that the car is purchased without the proper checks and that after a short time it presents serious problems. In this case, the law provides for the right of withdrawal for the car used by the dealer. This is a guarantee of conformity that lasts 24 months, according to which the vehicle, in the event of serious anomalies, must be repaired restoring the conditions of conformity.
Visual assessment – What to check visually before buying the car:
- Try to notice any rust or moisture damage. Make sure you also check the bottom of the car.
- Check the correct closing of the doors, the integrity of the fender or the presence of any signs that may indicate damage to the frame.
- Be careful that there are no dents or imperfections on the paint to indicate that the vehicle has been repainted after an accident.
- Pay attention to possible scratches or dents.
- If you notice any of these imperfections, try to negotiate a discount and if the seller does not want to give up the price, make sure he fixes the problems at his own expense before the change of ownership.
Mechanical verification – The mechanical parts that must be checked:
- Make sure the coolant is clear and that the transmission fluid is not black or oily.
- Check the oil and make sure it is not milky or foamy and that the brake fluid is not darker than the color of the tea.
- Check that the engine does not drip liquid and check that the drive belt is not damaged.
- Ask to be able to take a test drive with the car and have the seller guide you while you sit in the passenger seat.